Saturday, July 30, 2016

Harrison to His Wife, Carrie, September 19th, 1854 11

Share it Please

This is the second part of a letter found in Harrison’s desk in 1940. Apparently, Ben hid it there as a keepsake of his early, lonely days in Indianapolis. Harrison was unable to support his wife and baby son, so Carrie and Russell had gone to live with the Scotts and later the Harrisons in Ohio.

[Wednesday morning]

I ate an oyster supper, at Dr. N’s, last night, by special invitation, and after smoking a segar [sic], went home, read awhile and retired early. This morning I feel quite brisk and much more like study. The Dr. says the sickly season is generally over by September 23rd and that the health of our place is now improving. I suppose there is no reason why you should not come out by the first of October. I will have everything ready to receive you by that time. It is quite cool this morning, and a fire in the morning and evening will soon be necessary to comfort. I am glad cold weather is approaching; you know I always enjoy the winter season. Love to all. Write often and let me know how you and the babe get along. I had a bad dream about him last night,

Yours,

Ben.

Soon Carrie and the baby were able to join him, and, through a new partnership, Ben’s law practice began to support them.

Related post



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Blogger templates

eXTReMe Tracker
on

Follow us on Facebook

Follow The Author