Monday, January 30, 2017

"I expect I will have to go to Cin. sometime this month to try that case for the stealing of my..." 11

Share it Please
“I expect I will have to go to Cin. sometime this month to try that case for the stealing of my father’s body. You know how I dread to go over the details of that horror again–but I don’t see how it can be avoided.”

-

Benjamin Harrison to Margaret Peltz, October 11th, 1878.

It is unknown how the case turned out, as it was not the practice at this time to record the proceedings of damages suits. Harrison’s aim in seeking damages was to bring attention to the body-snatching epidemic, efforts which were answered in an 1880 law that increased the maximum penalty.

Related post



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Blogger templates

eXTReMe Tracker
on

Follow us on Facebook

Follow The Author