Thursday, August 25, 2016

New Years’ Bombardment 11

Share it Please

I have felt very little of that festive spirit which usually begins to this day. We have heard all day, the heavy bombing of artillery in the direction of Nashville and the great results of which hang upon the battle being fought and the dreadful carnage which the day witnessed, only a few miles away, having sobered and even saddened my mind. And then we have each a brother in the fight and God knows, not we, what may have been the issue to them.

Letter to Caroline Harrison, January 1st, 1863.

The Battle of Murfreesboro counted John Scott, Caroline’s brother. Ben sent whiskey, tea, and peaches from his own chest. Despite the injury to his family, Ben wrote his with that he hoped to soon 

exchange the ease and quiet of our present camp for the hardship and dangers of the field…not that I am ambitious of military fame, but because I want to feel that I am accomplishing something for the cause, which I sacrificed to espouse.

Letter to Caroline, January 8th, 1863.

Related post



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Blogger templates

eXTReMe Tracker
on

Follow us on Facebook

Follow The Author