Thursday, August 4, 2016

John Scott Harrison on His Son’s Future in the Republican Party 11

Share it Please

I look forward to a period in the future when you may occupy a high position among the political men of Indiana. But a false step now might spoil all. If I were in your place, I would content myself with a general endorsement of the doctrines of the Republican Party. And would not be too ardent in my support of all these (so called Republican principles) or you may find some of them are fallacious and will not stand the test of true patriotism…

John Scott Harrison advising his son Benjamin not commit fully to the young party, January 29th, 1858.

John Scott died in 1878, before his son was elected Senator and President as a member of the GOP.

Harrison MSS, Vol. 3

Related post



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Blogger templates

eXTReMe Tracker
on

Follow us on Facebook

Follow The Author