Sunday, February 14, 2016

Queen Liliʻuokalani, Last Hawaiian Monarch, to Harrison and Cleveland 11

Share it Please

From Hawaii’s Story by Hawaii’s Queen (1898) by Queen Liliʻuokalani. In he memoir, Liliʻuokalani blamed Harrison for his recognition of the government that deposed her. She did not go so far as to claim that Harrison had sent the troops that secured the end of her government, but she did task him with an ignorance of the facts in the Hawaiian case. She praised Cleveland for both rejecting the illegitimate treaty for annexation, and for ordering an investigation. Nevertheless, the McKinley administration used Harrison’s apparent recognition of the provisional government as precedent for a second annexation treaty.

On the 19th of January [1893], I wrote a letter to President Harrison, making an appeal that justice should be done.


HIS EXCELLENCY BENJAMIN HARRISON,

    President of the United States:

My great and good Friend, – It is with deep regret that I address you on this occasion. Some of my subjects, aided by aliens, have renounced their loyalty, and revolted against the constitutional government of my kingdom. They have attempted to depose me, and establish a Provisional Government in direct conflict with the organic law of this kingdom. Upon receiving incontestable proofs that His Excellency the Minister Plenipotentiary of the United States had caused troops to be landed for that purpose, I submitted to force, believing that he would not have acted in that manner unless by authority of the government which he represents.

This action on my part was prompted by three reasons, the futility of a conflict with the United States, the desire to avoid violence and bloodshed and the destruction of life and property, and the certainty which I feel that you and your government will right whatever wrongs may have been inflicted upon us in the premises. In due time a statement of the true facts relating to this matter will be laid before you, and I live in the hope that you will judge uprightly and justly between myself and my enemies.

This appeal is not made for myself personally, but for my people, who have hitherto always enjoyed the friendship and protection of the United States.

My opponents have taken the only vessel which could be obtained here for the purpose; and hearing of their intention to send a delegation of their number to present their side of the conflict before you, I requested the favor of sending by the same vessel an envoy to you to lay before you my statement as the facts appear to myself and my loyal subjects.

This request has been refused; and I now ask you, in justice to myself and to my people, that no steps be taken by the Government of the United States until my cause can be heard by you. I shall be able to despatch an envoy about the second day of February, as that will be the first available opportunity hence; and he will reach you with every possible haste, that there may be no delay in the settlement of this matter.

I pray you, therefore, my good friend, that you will not allow any conclusions to be reached by you until my envoy arrives.

I beg to assure you of the continuation of my highest consideration.

(Signed) LILIUOKALANI R.


It appears that President Harrison could not have taken notice of my appeal; for the 16th of February I find he sent a message to the Senate transmitting the treaty, with a view of its ratification, without having first investigated or inquired into all the conditions or points of our situation, or that of the United States itself. I will not attempt to write the President’s message, as you are already aware of its text.

I also wrote a letter to Mr. Cleveland.


GROVER CLEVELAND,

    President-elect of the United States.

My great and good Friend, – In the vicissitudes which happened in the Hawaiian Islands, and which affect my people, myself, and my house so seriously, I feel comforted the more that, besides the friendly relation of the United States, I have the boon of your personal friendship and good will.

The changes which occurred here need not be stated in this letter. You will have, at the time at which it reaches you, the official information; but I have instructed the Hon. Paul Neumann, whom I have appointed my representative at Washington, to submit to you a prècis of the facts and circumstances relating to the revolution in Honolulu, and to supplement it by such statements as you may please to elicit.

I beg that you will consider this matter, in which there is so much involved for my people, and that you will give us your friendly assistance in granting redress for a wrong which we claim has been done to us, under color of the assistance of the naval forces, of the United States, in a friendly port. Believe me that I do not veil under this request to you anything the fulfilment of which could in the slightest degree be contrary to your position; and I leave our grievance in your hands, confident that, in so far as you deem it proper, we shall have your sympathy and your aid.

I am, your good friend,

LILIUOKALANI R.

Related post



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Blogger templates

eXTReMe Tracker
on

Follow us on Facebook

Follow The Author